Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dirty Rice


I have always been curious about Dirty Rice, but it was something I always overlooked when I was searching for a recipe for a meal plan, until last Monday. I found this recipe and it sounded delicious (and it IS SUPER delicious). Funny story though, halfway through cooking this meal, I realized that the recipe was not complete. SO I had to make a meal that I had never made before somewhat on the fly - here are my changes...

~ I used a Red Bell Pepper, not Green
~ I added about 1 tsp of Cinnamon at the same time as the rest of the spices
~ No Annatto Powder (the grocer wasn't even sure what that was)
~ I added the Chicken Broth to the rice at the same time as the water
~ About 5 minutes before the Rice was cooked I added the Black Beans, Sausage, Pine nuts, and Tomatoes
~ I let it rest about 5 minutes before serving
~ I added some shredded Cheddar Cheese to the top (of course) and only squeezed on Lime    Juice before serving, not as it was cooking.

Now, I'm not to sure if this can be called "Authentic" Dirty Rice, but it was SO awesome that I would recommend this one pot meal to everyone - even my son loved it. And it made a HUGE pot full, so lots of leftovers to be frozen for another time!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails